Who better to talk about the impact your college has than those who went there? Engaging your alumni – especially those who have gone on to do great things in their chosen fields – will add authenticity and gravitas to your activity.
If you already have established networks and communication channels you could get in touch this way. Perhaps a past Association of Colleges’ Gold Award Winner went to your college? They might be good people to contact. Alternatively, a direct reach out to them (or their agent) could work. Social media can also be a great way to get their attention.
The key is to be clear about what you are asking them to do and why they should want to be involved.
- Suggest Tweets and other messages they can promote on their social media
- Ask them to attend an event you’re running for Colleges Week – this could be a good hook for a local press story (but be sure to get the invite to them as early as possible)
- Invite them to come along to the national lobby of parliament on Wednesday 17 October
- Ask them to write a blog or record a vlog about why your college is important to them
- Tell their networks about the campaign or invite you along to explain what we’re asking for and why